Thursday, February 11, 2010

Do We Really Believe People are Lost?-Part Two


Part Two of a Three Part Series
by Keith Kiper

The subjects of Heaven and Hell are often referred to as “last things.” Our Wesleyan Discipline lists these under Basic Principles. Both come to the same conclusions which are:

” Heaven with its eternal glory and the blessedness of Christ’s presence is the final abode of those who choose the salvation which God provides through Christ Jesus. Hell with its everlasting misery and separation from God is the final abode of those who neglect this great salvation.”



Hebrews 11:16 tells us, “But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a heavenly city for them.

On a way home from a conference, Don Piper’s car was crushed by a semi that crossed into his lane. Medical personnel said he died instantly. While his body lay lifeless inside the ruins of his car, Piper experienced the glories of heaven, and was awed by its beauty and music. Ninety minutes after the wreck, while a minister prayed for him, Piper miraculously returned to earth with only a memory of his time in heaven. With is leg hanging only by skin, the doctors could not explain how any blood remained in his body. He later wrote the book, “90 Minutes in Heaven.”
Listen to some of what he relates about this experience:

“When I died, I didn’t flow through a long, dark, tunnel. I had no sense of fading away or coming back. I never felt my body being transported into the light. I heard no voices calling to me. At the same time I remembered the accident, a light enveloped me, with a brilliance beyond comprehension or description. In my next moment of awareness, I was standing in heaven. Joy pulsated through me as I looked around and became aware of a large crowd of people. They stood in front of a brilliant ornate gate. I immediately recognized people who had died during my lifetime. Time had no meaning. As I gazed into all the faces I realized that they had contributed to my becoming a Christian or encouraged me in my growth. I instantly knew what they had each done to impact my life without knowing how I absorbed the information. I wasn’t conscious of anything I’d left behind. I felt no regrets about leaving family and possessions. God had removed all that was negative or would cause worry. I felt loved--more loved than ever before in my life. No one had to say they loved me--I just knew they did. I then realized what the Bible meant by perfect love.”

You see, Heaven is a real place. God made it for those who love Him and accept His Son Jesus Christ. The Bible clearly tells us there is no other way to Heaven and eternal life there but through His Son. The Bible tells us that Hell is a very real place also. We will talk about that next time in Part Three.

No comments: