Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Simos Family-May Update 2012

Simos Family ministry update from the Dominican Republic.
Equipping people to engage culture according to their design!
Relationships->Evangelism->Discipleship->
Toni
Bible lessons & English classes:  Since January, I have had the joy of teaching in the bateys every Tuesday & Thursday!  Our first stop is Lima where I teach English to a small group of students, then I teach a bible class over the life of Christ to a large group of kids.  Next, we travel to Piñones, where I teach the same bible class two times; first to a group of young teens, then to a group of little ones.  After this, we head to Cabeza de Toro where I finish up with an English class with only one dear student, Manuela.  I truly love the opportunities that the Lord is placing before me to teach, share, love, & learn.  These kids truly mean so much to me now, and it is wonderful to watch their lives being changed.  I’m often reminded of how much our love can impact others.  Kids that might not normally receive a lot of attention, unless it’s punishment, our seeing our team love on them, and at times, discipline them in a loving way such that they want to be our friends.  We praise God for the relationships that He is building & strengthening.  May it all result in the glory and praise of our  God. -Toni
  Toni & Jesi   Toni & Friends
Elle and Yudeika
From Elle:  When we started going to Batey Pinones in June, Yudeika was one year old. She was always with her uncle and was so shy. One time her uncle wanted to play ball with us so he left Yudeika beside a bench. So I went over and started holding her and playing with her. She was still shy for a few more weeks but I kept on playing with her every time we went to Pinones. In about one month Yudeika was always ready to play with me as soon as I got out the car. During this time she was still learning how to talk. Before my family went on furlough last December, Yudeika turned two and I got to go to her birthday party in the Batey. After furlough, Yudeika could say my name and her mom said when I wasn’t there Yudeika would ask where I was. Her mom said she would cry if I wasn’t coming to the bateys. She also has a nickname called YuYu (JuJu). I play with her every time we go to Pinones and we have so much fun together. Yudeika has changed a lot since June and she is my best friend.  -Elle
  Elle & Friends Elle & yaeli


Freedom
Freedom Information

Freedom Land!
We currently have a $21,308 matching gift on the table.  With your help, the match can raise over $40,000 towards our goal! Click here for more info.
Child Sponsorship!
As you know, we've had a pre-school up and running this past year, and we're making plans to add another class next year.  Click here for more info.
Josh
New Men's Ministry:  We've started a new Young Men's Ministry of batey Lima in hopes of discipling guys10 years old and older.  We're off to a great start with almost 40 guys in attendance so far. My Spanish is far from perfect, but they tell me they can understand it.  The plan is to have four meetings with lessons and team-building activities.  Then the fifth meeting will allow the group to put into action what they have been taught by serving (loving and respecting) others in the batey.  It's great to see so many wanting to be involved, most of whom are not believers.  Please pray that I'm able to communicate God's word clearly and that many would come to have a genuine relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. -Josh
    
Kinsey
From Kinsey:  These cute little girls are some of my best friends in the villages!  Fernancia to the left and Fabiola to the right, are three years old now and will be in our pre-school this fall.  Biki in the middle is two but she’s as big as the other two!  They are so funny in the way they talk and act with each other.  I love hearing them say my name!  Us four will sit down in the grass and they will ‘show’ me how to do a doll’s hair.  While this is going on, they will start their own little conversation!  It’s so cute to sit there and watch them go back and forth, carrying on about how Biki has dirt on her shirt, how Fabiola has clothes on, and how Fernancia has beads in her hair.   It always makes me laugh when we pull into Pinones and these cuties come running!   When we leave, there always standing just a few feet away from the car waving bye. -Kinsey
  
Gabe
From Gabe:  One of my friends in the villages is Weson. He is a little kid I like to hang out with. Weson usually doesn’t have clothes on. Weson lives in a village named Piñones. Whenever I get out of the car at Piñones he comes running up to play with me. Me and Weson like to throw and kick balls to each other. Once we leave Piñones, Weson starts to cry because he doesn’t want us to leave. -Gabe
 Gabe & a little one  Gabe & Wilson
Copyright © 2012 Josh & Toni Simos, All rights reserved.
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

No comments: